Sunday, November 29, 2015

Chariots of Fire


For the most part, the actors in Chariots of Fire owned up to the five points of acting we discussed in class. Because I do not know many films from the early 1980s, I don't know why the particular actors were chosen for this film. I'm assuming that they were either athletes or fairly popular actors of the time. However, the actors did a great job of looking the part of their character. The characters were white, and pale, stereotypical to the idea of Olympians representing Great Britain. Liddell and Abrahams were able to convey their characters very well, informing the audience of their differences as well as what their goals for the film were. Through both their personalities, the help of storytelling, and their body language, both characters were able to convey their beliefs and what they were running for. In this film, as well as many other movies, you do not notice that the characters are acting. The individual is their character, not someone who shows up on set every day to film a few scenes.

Editing is vital to the making of a great movie. In Chariots of Fire, the editing in combination with camera movement was very smooth and was able to manipulate time without it being jerky.The camera movement felt incredibly natural. Through most of the film, the speed was normal, however at certain points--such as right before the final race--where time slowed down and almost came to a stop all together. I nearly went insane just waiting for the stupid race to start.

Both Liddell and Abrahams ran for the purpose of glorifying God. They both believed that they were made to use their talent in running in order to show their devotion unto Him.

Because I was born after this film came out, I found the music to be very distracting. Throughout my life span, I have only heard the music when making fun of things, I did not know where the music came from, and have never heard it in a serious notion until watching this film. I was not able to take the film seriously when the music was playing.

While I hated the movie for this, I believe that Chariots of Fire won the Oscar for best picture because of the music in the film. Had the film and music not of been popular, I would not of recognized the music while watching the film. While I only hear the music while poking fun at things, the music must have been popular in 1981 in order to travel clear to 2015 just to torment me today with the annoying melody.

No comments:

Post a Comment